Moving Image:Humorous Phases of Funny Faces
|Humorous Phases of Funny Faces|
|Directed by||J. Stuart Blackton|
|Produced by||J. Stuart Blackton|
|Starring||J. Stuart Blackton|
|Distributed by||Vitagraph Company of America|
Humorous Phases of Funny Faces is a 1906 short silent animated cartoon directed by James Stuart Blackton and generally regarded by film historians as the first animated film recorded on standard picture film.
In the cartoon, animated hand-drawn scenes appear on a chalkboard, including a clown playing with a hat and a dog jumping through a hoop. In the beginning, though, the cartoonist's hands are included, too, as he draws the first several lines on the chalkboard in standard live action. From there, the stop-motion technique is used to show what appears to be drawings completing—and then moving—by themselves with no artist on screen.
Stop-motion as well as w:cutout animation are used, just as Edwin Porter moved his letters in How Jones Lost His Roll, and The Whole Dam Family and the Dam Dog. However, there is a very short section of the film where things are made to appear to move by altering the drawings themselves from frame to frame.
The film moves at 20 frames per second.
- ↑ Beckerman, Howard (2003-09-01). Animation: the whole story. Skyhorse Publishing Inc. p. 16. ISBN 978-1-58115-301-9. Retrieved 16 August 2011.
- ↑ Magill's Survey of Silent Films, Vol2. FLE-POT p.562 edited by Frank N. Magill c.1982 ISBN 0-89356-241-6 (3 book set ISBN 0-89356-239-4) Retrieved June 27, 2018
- Humorous Phases of Funny Faces at IMDb
- Humorous Phases of Funny Faces is available for free download at the Internet Archive
- Template:Bcdb title
- Humorous Phases of Funny Faces at the Library of Congress
- Humorous Phases of Funny Faces on YouTube
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lua error in Module:Commons_link at line 64: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value)..|
Template:1900s-short-comedy-film-stub Template:Short-animation-film-stub Template:Silent-film-stub
- Pages with script errors
- 1906 films
- 1906 short films
- 1906 animated films
- Animated comedy films
- 1900s animated short films
- American black-and-white films
- American films
- American silent short films
- Films directed by J. Stuart Blackton
- 1906 comedy films
- Vitagraph Studios short films
- American comedy films
- Articles containing video clips
- Comedy short films